Monday 14 March 2011

Confessions of a Sewing Machine Junkie

Welcome to my sewing Station:



This is my workhorse. My parents bought her for me as a moving out present 4 years ago. She came from the wonderful Brighton Sewing Centre, who are based over in the North Laines in Brighton. I like to call her Elly.


She's an Elna Air Electronic SU from 1978, and she has done me proud. She even made winter jackets for the Beagles! But sadly she is now making horrible noises and I think she needs a trip to Sewing Machine Hospital. Off back to the Sewing Centre she goes.

My mum has been going there since we moved to England, so about 10 years now, and I just found out that Jenny Leggings over at Jeggings does Vintage works there too! They also have lots of arts and crafts courses running, such as 'Learn to embroider, the old fashioned way', run by the lovely Miss Amy Phipps, who I have the pleasure of calling a dear friend and occasional tutor.

One day, the Mister came to pick me up from work, and pointed at the back seat. First, I didn't realise what it was....had he bought me another suitcase? (I'm in desperate need of more storage) was it a big jewellery box? what was it?!


And then he told me to open it:


I must say, this has got to be one of the best presents the Mister has bought me....there are alot of presents in the running for the grand prize, but this is right up there! He'd seen it in a charity shop at an undiscolsed location, and thought of me straight away. I have always wanted an old school Singer, and it came with all the original bits and bobs, even the instructions and a very old looking ruler!

I haven't used this one yet, and it's a manual hand crank, so not sure I'll fare too well, but I'll give it a go some day soon.



Next up, this cute little children's sewing machine. Another present from the Mister, again, Charity shop find, but I had never seen one before. That's what started off my hunt for more miniatures!



One day while out shopping in Lewes, I picked up my favourite yet. A pillarbox red kids machine, named the Vulcan, and in it's original box too! The chap who sold it for me knew how excited I was about buying it a week earlier, but found I didnt have enough money, and pay day was another week away. So I kept all my fingers and toes crossed for the next 7 days, went back, and she was still there! He'd put her aside for me out of view, so no one would find her while I was gone. He even took my details and said he'll call me if he comes across any others.
I think my favourite detail of this one is the streamlining along the top, and that it's made right here in England.




So imagine my excitement when I popped along to the local Shelter and found this:


The thing I enjoy the most when I come across a possible future sewing machine, is lifting off the lid. What wonders would be under this one? What state would it be in? And how many spares do I have to find before I can use it?!?

Lo and behold, my new Singer, a 1974 model, complete with electric foot, spare bulbs, the original manual, and lots of spare bobbins. I fell in love. It needed a good home, and by Jove I shall give it one! So while Elly is off to Rehab for a little, I shall get acquainted to my new addition...



I am an addict.

And I love it.

Much Love from Brighton,



L.J
xxx

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the Vulcan, I've never seen one before! My mum still has and uses her 1974 singer, still going strong.

    From a fellow Brighton Vintage fan x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing collection! I am indefinitely jealous of the singer..actually, I'm pretty jealous of all of them! As much as I love my modern digital machine, the old ones have such charm to them :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make my day :) I'll answer any questions just as soon as I can!