Friday 4 February 2011

Brighton Tattoo Convention 2011

In Loving Memory of Shone

He was such a character, and one of the nicest people i have met, always
 happy to see us, and made the whole experience of going to Magnum Opus a joy. He will be sorely missed.

©2010 Ester Segarra. http://www.e-segarra.com/

Please give generously




Saturday, 28th January 2011, saw the return of the Brighton Tattoo Convention at Brighton Racecourse, and what a day it was!
I strongly recommend to anyone thinking of going next year to book your tickets in advance, because a) you get to go in an hour earlier, and b) you don't have to stand in the FREEZING queue being blasted from all directions by the horrid, face numbing wind! Trust me, it's worth it.


After having bumbled through the main floor (hangover from previous night's gig still lurking), and up both towers, we soon realised it would be a little wait before anyone started getting tattooed, so we retired to the bar for a rather civilised cuppa.


Cuppa finished, let the fun begin! One of the first places I wanted to stop by were the lovely guys at Magnum Opus, where I had the last 2 completed, the first by Inma, who came up with my ribcage design, based on a bird designed by my favourite arist Alfons Mucha, and I love how simple and elegant she's made it into. 7 hours later and voila! Lucy then did Heinz's paw prints in October, after my beloved dog passed away. The detail she put into them blew me away.

(here's one of the guys at Nine in action)

I've been eyeing up Nigel at Nine in Brighton for a while, and think i'll take the plunge again in the summer.




This guy was having his chest piece completed, he told us it took a whole day just to mark out the tattoo in the first place, and whenever we came back, they were still hard at it! It really did look amazing at the end!

(the most glamarous tattooist in town!)


I really love watching others getting tattooed, and seeing the designs the artists come up with. It gets me itching to start sketching again, but I can never come up with the ideas they do. I really wish I'd managed to take a photo of a guy who had an amazing sleeve, comprising of a old WW2 letter, with original seal, looking like he's put himself under an old school type writer, then planes in the background with soldiers parachuting from the sky into the distance, and warfare on the ground...I'd love to know who's that was...

Also came across some hand tattooing in the boxing ring:




Such a relaxed atmosphere, and if you're like me and enjoy people watching, this is the place to go. You can go and chill in the bar with a pint, watch the bands, tattoo judging and peruse the shops, take a stroll outside to the art gallery, with free art classes and material, even a sugar skull competition! \on the subject of sugar skulls, the Mister came up with a wicked way of creating a suger skull design in a Suckie notebook. Next time I get near a scanner I'll put some up!

Next door to the bar there was also a Sailor Jerry exhibition, with a mini cinema and free Jerry & Ginger Ale! Yum!
But best to go upstairs first, if you dare. They were showing skin scarification and branding. We got chatting to the guy at the stand, and the random fact of the day was; vegetarians don't mind the smell, but meat eaters can't stand it...we didn't hang around for long...

...Back in the main area, people watching...

Just love this girls cat sleve, don't you?




All in all, a great day out, and I've been very inspired since to get practicing on my pin striping skills, or lack of. Since I've starting a new project and making another dress, I've been messing about with pin stripe embroidery, blog to follow! Its taking some time but I reckon with a bit more practice, I can just about do it!

Much Love from Brighton


L.J.

xxx

2 comments:

  1. oh wow, some of these pics are incredible. i wish i had the nerve to get a tattoo, but sailor jerry and ginger ale and a cinema sounds right up my street...would love to visit Brighton so much! great blog xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks like such a blast!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they make my day :) I'll answer any questions just as soon as I can!